Click the link to jump to a specific service, or scroll down to view them all:
• Child Therapy
What is Play Therapy?? Click here to find out!
As we know, children are not able to communicate on the level of adults. Children communicate best through playing! With play therapy, children learn to communicate with others, express feelings, modify behavior, develop problem-solving skills, and learn a variety of ways of relating to others. Play provides a safe psychological distance from their problems and allows expression of thoughts and feelings appropriate to their development.
Individual therapy involves meeting with a therapist one-on-one for the purpose of reducing internal suffering, which may occur in the form of problematic behaviors, beliefs, feelings, and the sensations that occur in the body. Ongoing psychotherapy is a common and useful means of self-growth and self-actualization for many people.
Some of the areas we treat:
• Mood Disorders (including perinatal and postnatal mood disorders) • Personality Disorders • Impulse Control • Abuse and Trauma • Adjustment problems • Anger management • Anxiety • Behavioral disorders • Child and Adolescent issues • Depression • Divorce and Separation • Emotional Disturbance • Work and Career Issues • Social Skills • Self Esteem • Stress Management • Women’s Issues • Mindfulness-Based Techniques • Disordered Eating • Grief & Loss
Couples therapy is similar to family therapy, but concentrates on the one-to-one relationship of the couple. Our Western culture teaches us that independence is of great value and that we should not need others to thrive. However, when couples practice “you and me” rather than on “us” in a committed relationship, the couple tends to have more of an emotional disconnection. This can make decision making difficult leading to criticism, stonewalling, anger, & resentment. A secure attachment is a key component of this unity and building a firm foundation for trust. Then each person in the relationship has the confidence to use inner emotions and have the feelings received sensitively. Sometimes a couple needs help dealing with external trauma, betrayal, stress, or loss that affects the relationship in a negative way. Reconnecting together with a therapist can help this process tremendously.
Is Couples Therapy JUST for married people? No – often couples therapy is sought before the wedding during pre-marital counseling, in a committed dating relationship, or a couple that is cohabiting. Most couples might wait to call a counselor right before they call a lawyer, but the best time is when the couple first realizes there is a serious dysfunction in how issues are resolved, or has difficulty connecting in grief, post-partum, or with an expected or unexpected life transition. As in family therapy, the ultimate goal is a realistic secure attachment leading to a better emotional connection between the two people.
If you are a couple that is contemplating separation or divorce, one resource AP4M finds valuable is Transitions Divorce Prep . It is an invaluable workbook for those thinking about ending a marriage and those already in the middle of proceedings.
Family therapy is a form of counseling which specializes in treating family relationships. Our counselor can work with every combination of family relationship (whole families or couples, parents with children or individual members) to assist a family to function in more comfortable and useful ways. While most family therapists work alone with family members, others may work in pairs or a larger team of counselors.
What Situations is Family Therapy Helpful In?
• Unclear or conflicting rules, roles, and expectations
• Clearer, direct and more compassionate communication
• Inter-generational pain around grief, transition and loss
• Patterns of managing and resolving conflict
• Parenting styles, techniques, and helpful discipline
• Issues arising from the blending of families
• Relationship repair and better emotional connection between and among family members
How Does Family Therapy Work?
Family systems theory proposes that we as individuals first learn about ourselves, our emotions and how to manage close relationships from the experience we have growing up in our family of origin. This personal experience influences how we tend to function in all other relationships we may have throughout our lives. As we come to better understand ourselves in our family emotional system, and work to heal our natural, anxious reactions to it, we can become more flexible in our marriages, our parenting, and our work and community relationships.
Group sessions can be as small as three or four people up to ten individuals. The groups meet once each week for up to six weeks and it allows individuals to receive the courage and support of a therapist as well as members of the group. The group therapy session is a collaborative effort in which the therapist assumes clinical responsibility for the group and its members. In a typical session, which lasts about 60-75 minutes, members work to express their own problems, feelings, ideas and reactions as freely and honestly as possible. Such exploration gives the group the important information needed to understand and help one another. Members learn not only to understand themselves and their own issues but also become “therapeutic helpers” for other members.
Group Therapy Themes we have offered in the past:
• Parenting Get-Together • Grief and Loss • Social Skills for Kids • Anger Management for Adults • Depression Support • Teen Talk • Mommy and Me • Mindfulness for Preteens and Teens • Expressive Therapy • Mom/Dad’s Morning Out • Parent Workshop for College • Social Skills for Preteens • How to Survive High School • Anger Management for Young Boys
Please call or email our offices to register for a group or for more information!
Personal and Professional Coaching
Coaching utilizes a process designed to facilitate the exploration of needs, motivations, desires, skills and thought processes to assist the individual in making real, lasting change.
What is coaching?
According to the International Coach Federation, professional coaches provide
- An ongoing partnership
- Help producing fulfilling results in their personal and professional lives
- Help improving their performance
- Efforts to enhance the quality of the client’s life
- Trained listening and observation to customize their approach to individual client needs
- A desire to seek elicit solutions and strategies from the client
- The belief that the client is naturally creative and resourceful
- Support to enhance the skills, resources, and creativity that the client already has
What can you expect from your coach?
• Support in setting appropriate goals and methods of assessing progress in relation to these goals
• Observe, listen and ask questions to understand the client’s situation
• Creatively apply tools and techniques, which may include one-to-one training, facilitating, counseling & networking
• Encourage a commitment to action and the development of lasting personal growth & change
• Maintain unconditional positive regard for the client, which means that the coach is at all times supportive and non-judgmental of the client, their views, lifestyle and aspirations
• Evaluate the outcomes of the process, using objective measures wherever possible to ensure the relationship is successful and the client is achieving their personal goals
Academic Advisement with “After The Bell”
- College Tours
- College Admissions Process
- College Preparatory Activities
- Financial Aid/Scholarship Search
- Test Preparation & Registration
After The Bell is your vehicle to educational and cultural enrichment. We exist to provide resources and solutions for students five years of age through high school. We work with students whose behaviors are a direct result of educational problems as well as those who seek additional help to accomplish educational goals.
We understand that a high school counselor has a caseload of at least 200 hundred students and we are prepared to provide the individual attention a student needs! As a partner in a community of educators, we are committed to cultivating learning styles through an environment that celebrates creativity, and exposure outside the regular classroom.
We specialize in preparing students for higher education, and as such, coordinating touring events and assisting students with the college admissions process allows them to make the best possible choices. Our tours are created from the students’ perspective with a specialized theme; focus on cultural enrichment and higher education.
Please contact us to create an Educational Success Plan (ESP) and work towards your goal of higher education.
After The Bell, LLC
P.O. Box 5468
Atlanta, GA. 31107
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org