Family therapy is a form of counseling which specializes in treating family relationships. Our counselors can work with every combination of family relationship (whole families or couples, parents with children or individual members) to assist a family to function in more comfortable and useful ways. While most family therapists work alone with family members, others may work in pairs or a larger team of counselors.
Family Therapy Helpful When:
• There are unclear or conflicting rules, roles, and expectations
• There is a need for clearer, direct and more compassionate communication
• There is Intergenerational pain around grief, transition, and loss
• There are patterns of managing and resolving conflict
• There is a need for parenting styles, techniques, and helpful discipline
• There are Issues arising from the blending of families
• There is a need for relationship repair and a better emotional connection between and among family members
How Does Family Therapy Work?
Family systems theory proposes that we as individuals first learn about ourselves, our emotions and how to manage close relationships from the experience we have growing up in our family of origin. This personal experience influences how we tend to function in all other relationships we may have throughout our lives. As we come to better understand ourselves in our family emotional system, and work to heal our natural, anxious reactions to it, we can become more flexible in our marriages, our parenting, and our work and community relationships.